|NA NA, Midlothian EH23 4NU|
|Vogrie Country Park Website|
Vogrie offers a haven of tranquillity in the heart of Midlothian's countryside.
It retains much of its character as a Victorian parkland estate, with sweeping carriage drives, beautifully landscaped vistas, an original walled garden and the baronial-styled Vogrie House.
As well as the natural attractions of Vogrie including 105 hectares of woods and over 4 miles of beautiful woodland walks, facilities include an adventure play area, barbecue sites, 9-hole golf course, woodland walks, water features, a miniture railway and the Tree Top Cafe.
The former home of the Dewar family, near Dewarton (named after the family) in Midlothian, it was built in 1876 by Andrew Heiton, town architect for Perth. Vogrie House is a fine example of Victorian Baronial splendour and one of the best surviving examples of Heiton's work.
The house was a typical country house with 31 rooms including a library, servant's quarters and many bedrooms.
According to the 1891 Census, the house had 7 servants including a cook and a lady's maid, a table maid and a housemaid. It also had stable and gardening staff - another 10 in total.
Transformed in the 1920's into a nursing home for the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, the house was sold on to local government in the 1950's and had a role during the Cold War as a control centre for communications.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!